A New Discovery in A Star Trek Renaissance


The first episode of Star Trek I can remember watching was Star Trek: The Next Generation, Best of Both Worlds Part 1 and 2. I remember the music the most; as the Borg Cube made its methodical march toward the Enterprise. That episode had all the wonder, human connection, and action/adventure of quintessential Star Trek. I was three years old and TNG had been in reruns for a few years. This introduction to Star Trek stands out as a pivotal moment in my life.


As a new generation takes the reigns of Star Trek with the introduction of Star Trek: Discovery, I can’t help but think about what this 50-year-old franchise has meant to me over the years. It has informed a sense of wonder I have held even into adulthood. Iconic characters like Data, The Doctor, Odo and Worf have enshrined in me a respect for people different than myself. A depiction of a human race where there is no extremism to divide us has maintained my sometimes taxed faith in humanity.

When Star Trek: Enterprise was canceled and the Golden Age of Trek had ended I wasn’t sure what would come next. By this point, I had seen every episode of every tv show, and movie, and had read a dozen books. I was the closest thing to an expert on the lore of anyone I knew. The cancellation was profoundly sad for me. In hindsight, the audience had never been in greater need of an uplifting human story, just as we dove headlong into the post-9/11 era. Luckily Star Trek has entered into a renaissance. 

The Kelvin Timeline movies are a fantastic reimagining of the legendary Kirk-Spock-Bones triad and each movie is like getting together with old friends. Unfortunately, those reunions end as quickly as they begin. Star Trek has always been a story best told on TV. I’ll admit to being a Discovery skeptic when it was initially announced. Production delays, producer shakeups, and proprietary streaming services didn’t help. But when something makes up the fabric of your adolescence these little things can’t stop you from excitement. Bound up in Discovery’s lunch are all my hopes and dreams for a more tolerant world, one where humans are united by the wonder of discovery, where the stars' mysteries are revealed, and the human condition is explored.




I’m looking forward to being reacquainted with that three-year-old boy again, staying up way past bedtime just to get one… more… episode… 

Watch Star Trek: Discovery premier tonight on CBS and CBS All Access at 8:30p/7:30 Central.

*Talking Trek is not affiliated with CBS.

Comments

Popular Posts